With just 5 days left before the StartUp Academy applications close, here is all the low-down on what the program includes, and how you can apply! Don’t waste any time, apply today!
What is WECREATE Pakistan?
WECREATE | PAKISTAN is the organization behind StartUp Academy. It is committed to supporting the growth of women entrepreneurs and small businesses in Pakistan. They provide innovative and non-traditional solutions to growing entrepreneurs, with a special focus on female entrepreneurs.
What is StartUp Academy?
StartUp Academy walks would-be entrepreneurs through the steps required to build a business. The program is limited to 15-18 teams, and will include 15 business-building sessions in 15 weeks. The three hour session each week will be led by local entrepreneurs and business leaders.
The program will provide training on how to build a viable business model, marketing, production, market demographic, secure intellectual property, going to market and every aspect of starting a successful and unique business. Mentoring is at the cornerstone of this journey and top experts will be matched to the most suitable startups so entrepreneurial wisdom is not only shared but applied.
You will get:
- Hands on mentoring and coaching from those who have “been there and done it”,
- Donated legal services to help properly form a company,
- Networking opportunities
Who Can Apply?
Any woman with a business idea, or currently in business for less than one year, can apply for the StartUp Academy program. Though this program focuses on female entrepreneurs it is also open to teams that are female led or female-inclusive.
All submissions will be reviewed by a panel of seasoned entrepreneurs and mentors to determine which companies will be invited to interview for one of the 15-18 places in the program. Applications close on March 16, 2015.
The application process is very simple as aspiring entrepreneurs are not required to have an air-tight business plan but a creative idea that they want to see reach fruition.
The following questions will be considered when shortlisting teams:
- How coachable is the team?
- How realistic is the idea?
- What is the market opportunity?
- Can a prototype, beta or market-ready product or service be created within 4/8/15 weeks?
- Is the individual and/or team committed to starting a business?
Ideas of interest include those that can be developed into a viable business. This includes agriculture, textiles, arts, restaurants, home businesses, retail stores, technological advances, green tech, web and mobile, licensing, professional services, and franchising.
Shortlisted teams will be interviewed in 15 minute time-slots. During this time, entrepreneurs will “pitch” the business idea to the mentors and the mentors will ask questions to ascertain the following:
- The entrepreneurs’ determination / commitment to the start up
- Is the entrepreneur coachable?
- Would the entrepreneur benefit from StartUp Academy?
- Does the entrepreneur have support from their family/significant other?
- Is the idea presented valid/viable?
- Does the entrepreneur have risk capital beyond tuition?
StartUp Academy is one of a kind program being offered in Pakistan but it has been formulated mirroring entrepreneurship trends, tried and tested steps from Silicon Valley. Do not let this opportunity pass you by, you owe it to yourself to make your business dream, a reality!