Arthur Asher Miller (October 17, 1915 – February 10, 2005) was an American playwright, essayist, and figure in twentieth-century American theater. Among his most popular plays are All My Sons (1947), Death of a Salesman (1949), The Crucible (1953) and A View from the Bridge (1955, revised 1956). He also wrote several screenplays and was most noted for his work on The Misfits (1961). The drama Death of a Salesman has been numbered on the short list of finest American plays in the 20th century alongside Long Day’s Journey into Night and A Streetcar Named Desire.
Miller was often in the public eye, particularly during the late 1940s, 1950s and early 1960s. During this time, he was awarded the Pulitzer Prize for Drama; testified before the House Un-American Activities Committee; and was married to Marilyn Monroe. In 1980, Miller received the St. Louis Literary Award from the Saint Louis University Library Associates. He received the Prince of Asturias Award and the Praemium Imperiale prize in 2002 and the Jerusalem Prize in 2003, as well as the Dorothy and Lillian Gish Lifetime Achievement Award.
To celebrate the 101st birthday of Arthur Miller, here are 11 of his more memorable quotes.
1. Betrayal is the only truth that sticks.
2. Maybe all one can do is hope to end up with the right regrets.
3. If I have any justification for having lived it’s simply, I’m nothing but faults, failures and so on, but I have tried to make a good pair of shoes. There’s some value in that.
4. Can anyone remember love? It’s like trying to summon up the smell of roses in a cellar. You might see a rose, but never the perfume.
5. Everybody likes a kidder, but nobody lends him money.
6. Don’t be seduced into thinking that that which does not make a profit is without value.
7. I think it’s a mistake to ever look for hope outside of one’s self.
8. Where choice begins, Paradise ends, innocence ends, for what is Paradise but the absence of any need to choose this action?
9. You specialize in something until one day you find it is specializing in you.
10. What is the most innocent place in any country? Is it not the insane asylum? These people drift through life truly innocent, unable to see into themselves at all.
11. You cannot catch a child’s spirit by running after it; you must stand still and for love it will soon itself return.
Biography via: Wikipedia / Photo: AP