Under the PhD fellowship program, HEC (Higher Education Commission) has announced a scholarship program for students across Pakistan for the year 2016-17.
These scholarships are available for all the fields including engineering, information technology (IT), management sciences, business education, arts and humanities, social sciences, agriculture and veterinary sciences, biological sciences, medical sciences, and physical sciences.
As per an official from the HEC, the aggregate number of accessible seats for PhD scholarships is 1000. He further included:
“This figure is just for this Phase under the indigenous Ph.D. fellowship program. Many scholarships were being offered in different Phases”
If a student passes the selection stage of the scholarship and becomes eligible for it, he will be given admission in any local university recognized by HEC. In addition, the HEC website has disclosed that there are about 180 recognized universities and institutions running in the country including Jammu Kashmir.
HEC has funded Rs. 300 million for this scholarship program. This amount was exclusively invested to provide scholarships to deserving students. Furthermore, for the less developed areas of Pakistan, a reserved amount of Rs. 298 million rupees has been kept in order to upgrade and maintain universities and institutes in those areas.
Procedure of Applying For Scholarship
In order to apply for the scholarship, you have to sign-in to your profile using HEC’s E-Portal. Once you are done signing in, click on ‘Scholarship and Grants’ on the left-hand side and then on ‘Indigenous Ph.D. Fellowship Program’. Fill in the application form and submit it while following the instructions that come on your screen.
However, if you don’t have an account already, you can choose the option to register for a new account. After creating your account, you can register for the scholarship program.
The last date for application submission is 31st January 2017.
1. The candidate must be a Pakistani or AJK national.
2. For MS/MPhil candidates, students must have 16 years of education and should have no 3rd division or D grade in their entire academic career.
3. Those candidates who are applying for direct PhD should have a minimum of 3.0 GPA (out of 4.0) or first division in MS/MPhil or an equivalent degree.
4. Age limit for full-time regular faculty members of public sector university/DAIs is 40 years at the closing date of the application while age limit for other candidates is maximum 35 years.
5. Candidates who are already studying under any scholarship cannot apply.
6. Students enrolled in a PhD program before Spring 2015 semester are also NOT eligible.