“Reed Hastings (born October 8, 1960) is an American entrepreneur and philanthropist. He is the co-founder and CEO of Netflix and serves on the boards of Facebook and a number of non-profit organizations. A former member of the California State Board of Education, Hastings is an advocate for education reform through charter schools.”
On his 56th birthday, we’ve compiled 10 of his best quotes.
1. Most entrepreneurial ideas will sound crazy, stupid and uneconomic, and then they’ll turn out to be right.
2. At Netflix, we think you have to build a sense of responsibility where people care about the enterprise. Hard work, like long hours at the office, doesn’t matter as much to us. We care about great work.
3. In fact, technology has been the story of human progress from as long back as we know. In 100 years people will look back on now and say, ‘That was the Internet Age.’ And computers will be seen as a mere ingredient to the Internet Age.
4. As an entrepreneur you have to feel like you can jump out of an aeroplane because you’re confident that you’ll catch a bird flying by. It’s an act of stupidity, and most entrepreneurs go splat because the bird doesn’t come by, but a few times it does.
5. Great leaders, like Steve Jobs or Jeff Bezos, also focused on the long term.
6. I’ve worked very hard, but my life’s always been fun.
7. Stone Age. Bronze Age. Iron Age. We define entire epics of humanity by the technology they use.
8. Don’t be afraid to change the model.
9. With failures, you learn one of 99 things to avoid. So they are not that useful. I think it is more useful to learn from others’ failures.
10. Truly brilliant marketing happens when you take something most people think of as a weakness and reposition it so people think of it as a strength.
Featured image: FRANCOIS GUILLOT/AFP/GETTY IMAGES